Advertisements

Polls & Awards

This week’s polls are out and the Minutemen have hung onto their ranking.  Barely.

UMass sits at #19 in the USCHO poll.  Note that six Hockey East teams currently sit in the top 20.

The team is just barely in the also receiving votes category for the USA Today poll.

In the only poll that really counts, the pairwise, UMass sits at 16th.  That means that they’d be on the outside looking in for a NCAA selection since the Atlantic Hockey autobid would take that spot.

INCH has UMass at #19 in their power rankings.

Δ

Bobby Butler’s four point outing against UMass helped him gain the Hockey East Player of the Week which he shared with Lowell’s Scott Campbell.  Justin Braun and Will Ortiz were named Top Performers.

Δ

However when we’re talking about college hockey awards there’s one that stands out above the rest.  The Hobey Baker Award.  Fan voting has started for this year’s award.  UMass has two players on the fan voting ballot; Justin Braun and James Marcou.  For some inexplicable reason Casey Wellman, who leads the nation in goals currently with State’s Corey Tropp, is not on the ballot.  Better yet, there seems to be no way to contact anyone having to do with the website to try to correct the obvious error (or the fact that they say the championship will be held in Washington DC).

But in the meantime be sure to cast your votes for Marcou and Braun.

The Hobey Baker Award last year in DC.

Advertisements
Previous Post

4 Comments

  1. Ryan

     /  January 11, 2010

    the fan vote is pretty much pointless at it only accounts for 1% of the total. the other 99% is chosen by the committee. wellman will not get overlooked by them if UMass does well the rest of the way.

    Like

  2. Ryan

     /  January 12, 2010

    haha i did indeed vote for marcou…twice! also its good to see hockey east checks their weekly summaries.

    PURE HOCKEY DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK

    BRIAN FOSTER – NEW HAMPSHIRE
    Senior Goaltender; Pembroke, N.H.

    Foster stopped 53 of 55 shots (.930 save%) in a three-point weekend for the Wildcats. He posted 27 shots in a 2-2 tie vs. UML and made 26 saves in a 7-2 win over UMass on Saturday

    Like

    • Wow. Glad he didn’t try that against UMass. Letting the opposing goalie pepper Meyers with shots wouldve been bad for the defense’s confidence.

      Like

Advertisements
%d bloggers like this: